Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dod Procter Inspiration

Dod Procter Sleeping Girl National Gallery of Ireland
 
 
  Dod Procter (1892-1972) was a Newlyn painter living and working in Cornwall, and her Sleeping Girl, is in the collection at the National Gallery of Ireland.  It has been a love affair with me, ever since I first set eyes on this painting, and every so often I go and pay my respects to this understated masterpiece . To me, it is such a magnificant painting, with it’s strength of composition, dexterity and skill:  juxtaposed with the serenity of the sleeping girl and the quietness of the tonal painting-it is just breath-taking!
girl with kitten 71x71cm oil on canvas
garden shade 71x71cm oil on canvas
This painting has been very inspirational for me, and I have assimilated and incorporated it into a number of my compositions and drawings as can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment